When the summer heat is on the menu here are 7 tips for keeping dogs cool and helping your fur kids to beat the heat:
- Use a spray bottle with water to wet their coat, especially around their head and chest area. A fan will cool them when they are wet
- Put ice cubes in their water
- Break up some liver treats and freeze into ice blocks
- Feel the pavement with your hand before heading out with your dog, if you can’t hold you hand on it, your dog can’t walk on it.
- Keep the activity level to a minimum, as this heats them up.
- Go for your walk/outing early morning or as the sun sets, you know “only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun”
- Add stock or extra water to their food to help keep them hydrated. Especially if feeding dry food, serve it wet.
Dogs have difficulty dissipating heat so best to keep them as cool as possible to start with – and if all else fails get them under the sprinkler or chasing the hose – summer fun! If you have any Summer Heat tips, please pass them on. Either post them on our Facebook page or contact me and I will share them with everyone. Thank you!